Buying and Selling Property
Qualified real estate professionals are available to provide advice on purchasing a property in the ACT.
The Real Estate Institute of the ACT (REIACT) provide assistance for people who are transitioning to new homes. The REIACT Asbestos Advisory Group brings together experienced real estate agents who provide free advice about the process of selling a home, purchasing a new one or securing rental accommodation.
Phone (02) 6282 4544 or visit the REIACT website.
Financial Advice and Assistance
A range of financial advice and assistance, including grants and concessions, are available to assist homeowners with relocation expenses.
- ActewAGL & Icon Water will waive disconnection and reconnection of electricity, gas, water and sewerage services. Refer to the information sheet below for details and contacts.
- Telstra provide concessions for connection of fixed phone or broadband services. Refer to the information sheet below for details and contacts.
- Local financial institutions have dedicated contacts to assist homeowners with financial advice and support.
- Care Financial (Care Inc) provide financial counselling services to support people overcome debt.
- TheAustralian Taxation Office provides information on understanding the tax implications of participating in the Voluntary Buyback and Eligible Impacted Property Buyback Programs. Refer to the information sheet below for details and contacts.
- InfoSheet: ActewAGL and Icon Water support for Mr Fluffy affected and eligible impacted homeowners and tenants (PDF 199.5KB)
- Infosheet: Telstra Support for affected and eligible impacted homeowners and tenants (PDF 201.8KB)
- InfoSheet: Australian Taxation Office Support (PDF 181.4KB)
Local Business Offering Assistance
- Good Guys outlets in Canberra offer discounts on some household items.
- Horticulturalists: Mick Burgess provides free horticulture and landscape advice. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Infosheet: Private gardens and street trees (PDF 160KB)
Rebuilding, Repairs and Maintenance
There are a number of organisations in the ACT that can assist people wanting to rebuild, including information on local qualified and registered building and design professionals. Information on local tradespeople registered to undertake repairs and maintenance is also available.
- Access Canberra can provide information on licensed, registered or accredited design and construction professionals in the ACT. The list includes architects, builders, tradespeople, asbestos assessors and removalists, and surveyors. Phone 13 22 81.
- The Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate provide information on regulations around buying, selling or leasing property, development applications, building approvals, zoning, and changes to planning laws, including subdivision. Phone 13 22 81.
- Land Development Agency provide information on the Land Rent Scheme. Phone 13 22 81.Details of upcoming public auctions of deregistered blocks can be found here.
- The ACT Master Builders Association (MBA) provide information on Master Builders registered in the ACT. Phone 6175 5997.
- The Housing Industry Association provide assistance on a variety of building and planning standards and regulations, and HIA members who can assist to undertake works on Mr Fluffy homes Phone 1902 973 555.
Individual service providers have supplied all information in relation to their listings and information is correct and up to date as at 27 February 2017. All details are subject to change by service providers without notice.