This information is correct as at June 2020. All details are subject to change without notice.
A range of financial advice and assistance, including grants and concessions, are available to assist homeowners with relocation expenses.
For buyback program participants
Financial concession for legal fees
Under the buyback program, the owner will receive $1,000 (GST incl) to cover or contribute to legal fees incurred in attending to the surrender or sale of their affected block to the Territory. This concession will be included in the settlement calculations.
Conveyance (stamp) duty concessions
Eligible homeowners participating in the buyback program are entitled to a stamp duty concession on the purchase of a residential dwelling in the ACT. Find out more on the ACT Revenue Office website or phone 02 6207 0028.
Transition assistance provides support to those homeowners in an affected property participating in the buyback program who are facing difficulties moving into new living arrangements due to complex health and/or financial circumstances.
Transition assistance provides access to a portion of the equity currently held in your home to pay for expenses associated with moving to new living arrangements. This might include:
- paying the deposit on a new property
- payment to a secure a place in a retirement village
- installing disability modifications in your new home
Homeowners or their tenants may be eligible for a relocation assistance grant and other financial concessions to assist with moving to new accommodation.
Utility and financial services
- ActewAGL and Icon Water will waive disconnection and reconnection of electricity, gas, water and sewerage services.
- Telstra provides concessions for connection of fixed phone or broadband services.
- Services Australia offers a free Financial Information Service to help you make informed decisions about your finances and government income support payments.
- Care Financial (Care Inc) provides financial counselling services to support people on low to moderate incomes.
- The Australian Taxation Office provides information on understanding the tax implications of participating in the buyback programs for eligible affected properties and eligible impacted properties.
- The ASIC MoneySmart website provides calculators and free, independent guidance to help you make financial decisions.
More information is available to download.
Support from banks
Several banks have dedicated contact numbers for providing affected homeowners with financial advice and support.
If you feel anxious or concerned, get support from:
- ActewAGL and Icon Water support for Mr Fluffy affected and eligible impacted homeowners and tenants (520.6 KB)
- Australian Taxation Office Support (298.0 KB)
- Social Security income support exemptions (301.8 KB)
- Telstra Support for affected and eligible impacted homeowners and tenants (505.5 KB)
Find out more about:
Contact us for more information.