Beyond 30 June 2020 - Management of Remaining Affected Properties
In seeking to balance the individual needs of homeowners with the safety risk any remaining affected properties pose, a range of initiatives will be introduced as part of the Pathways to Eradication Package.
The Package comprises:
- Transition Assistance (PDF 487KB) providing homeowners with complex health or financial circumstances the ability to access equity in their home to assist with expenses associated with moving to new accommodation;
- Additional Asbestos Management Plan (AMP) requirements (PDF 561KB), effective from 1 July 2020, aimed at making it easier for tradespeople, care workers and visitors to access the information they need when attending an affected property;
- Development and Building Approval restrictions (PDF 511KB), effective from 1 July 2020, which will limit building activity at affected properties to essential maintenance and safety works;
- the introduction of an Occupancy Prohibition (PDF 510KB) for new owners and tenants from 1 July 2020, preventing affected properties being occupied following ownership transfer or the end of a rental agreement; and
- Compulsory Acquisition, from July 2025, of any remaining privately-owned affected properties. Commencement action will be timed on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the specific circumstances of each remaining homeowner and / or resident.
Following closure of the Buyback Program, homeowners can continue to manage their affected property through private demolition, private sale or sale to the Territory under the Purchaser of Last Resort (POLR) offer made to all homeowners in May 2015.
Further information about each of these initiatives can be found in the linked information sheets or by calling the Taskforce.
Remaining homeowners are encouraged to contact the Personal Support Team by phone on 02 6205 4700 or email at email@example.com to discuss what the package of initiatives means for them and how the Taskforce can support them in their decision-making in the lead-up to 30 June 2020.